The Manager SE program does not have an official refund function; however there are several workarounds. Every shop is unique and choosing the proper refund method will depend on how the management software is configured and overall shop objectives. We highly recommend visiting the Shop Management Forums for suggestions and alternate methods.
Suggested Method 1
Step 1: Initial Setup
- Create a Category called, “Refund”.
- Create an Account Class called, “Refund”.
- Create a Part called, “Refund“:
- Assign the Refund Category and Refund Account Class to the Refund part record.
- Check User Entered Price $.
- Set part as Non-Taxable.
- Then, click OK to save the part record.
Step 2: Creating the Order
- Create a New order for the Customer.
- Transfer the Refund part from Inventory.
- Set the Quantity to “-1“.
- Set the Unit Price $ to the desired refund amount (positive value).
- Verify that Category and Account Class are assigned to Refund, then click Done.
- Verify refund Total amount is correct on the order. You may need to adjust the order by removing shop supplies, hazard materials, fees, discounts, or taxes.
- Next, Convert the order to an Invoice.
Step 3: Paying the Invoice
- Click on Options, and then Apply Payments.
- Pay invoice using a Negative Amount.
- Click No on Post Additional Payments.
- Click Yes on Post this Invoice.
- The Cash Receipts, Cash Receipts by Payment Type, and Cash Receipts Summary reports will reflect a negative payment On Invoice.
- The Revenue by GL Code report will show negative revenue for the Refunds account class. Please note that negative values in the Revenue by GL Code report will display as “Unassigned”. You can reference the account class by its numerical GL Code.
- Refunds using this method are categorized as negative parts revenue. For example, the Sales Receipts Summary report will reflect refunds as negative non-taxable parts revenue. Gross and parts sales in the Business Summary report will also show refunds as negative revenue.
Special Thanks to Shop Mgmt Forum member Petro Plus Admin for this tip!